Friday, June 15, 2012

Fathers day that wasn't

Father's day is this weekend and grandma and I were discussing this upcoming event. I had thought there was going to be a motorcycle rally here in Morgantown, so I called home to invite the parents up here for a visit and a bit of biker world looky-loo.Turns out that that isn't happening until next month, but now I've put the suggestion in the air that my parents might be able to come for a visit. Grandma is on that like a rotty with a bone! Sh emails them both the next day to suggest that either they can come for a father's day visit or we could meet them half way. Which I admit would be nice, I've been away from home for the bulk of the past 2 months and I wouldn't mind at all seeing them, however I know there is no way to visit with them over the noise of grandma complaining about how no one in her HUGE family comes to visit or calls or writes or sends carrier pigeons. When this topic comes up I have to swallow blood for all of the tongue biting I do to hold back comments about how she spends her time when people do visit (namely, she complains about all of the people not present).

I made the mistake earlier in the week of talking to her a bit about some news a family member had shared earlier in the year. It wasn't huge news like a wedding or a birth, but you'd have thought I told her one of our cousins had been elected to the white house for all the shock that she had NEVER heard of this until now. "I sometimes feel like the ugly duckling," she says, "I'm just not anyone's favorite grandma." My heart sinks just before my blood pressure shoots through the roof. Aw, how sad this is that she feels so rejected... Wait a second! This is another guilt trip! And it's not even my guilt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment